[thelist] Submitting a form with javascript

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Mon Nov 3 14:54:34 CST 2003

I did build a site that uses JS drop-down menus, built with links. Some of
these menu choices submitted forms, some did not.

> then what is the visually impaired user supposed to do?

We don't have any. Would such a person one day want to use this particular
site (a controlled audience site) he would have far greater problems than
figuring out how to submit his form. Is the company concerned about the
possibility that one day such a person will want to use this site? No.

> ah yes, job security through vendor lockdown.

Job security? Could be the exact opposite. Maybe someone who has NOT spent
the past 2 years working primarily in this Win IE only environment would be
better equipped to fix the site to work with other browsers. :)

> sorry, but i still fail to see a reason to use javascript and
> a link to
> submit the form.  it just causes way too many problems.
> better to leave the
> submit buttons alone or force them into your (or your
> client's) idea of a
> good-looking ui with css.

I generally would agree that it is not a good choice. In the site mentioned
above (with dropdowns) I had not thought of styling buttons to look like
links and then adding some sort of mouseover or CSS behavior. Given our
layout of dropdown menus, which are entirely in a different location (in the
code and on the page) than the actual form, I don't see how buttons would be
any better than links. Either one is not very friendly for a screen reader
and both require JS code to make them work.

Hershel