[thelist] History of domain registration

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Nov 4 10:04:38 CST 2003

At 03:21 AM 11/4/2003, Roel Mulder wrote:
>Hi all,
>In januari 2003 we registered a .com domain. Yesterday we received an
>e-mail of someone claiming they registered it prior to ourselves and
>wanting to open up negotiations towards reclaiming it.
>
> > Unfortunately due to techincial problems between the original registrar
> (corp1)
> > and corp2 Ltd we were unable to reregister the domain when it was due for
> > renewal and it now seems that you have registered the domain.
>
>Tough for them.
>Question : Is there a place where I can check their claim of the
>domainname being registered to them prior our registration?
>
>The domain has since januari been directed to one of our websites, it
>doesn't generate tarffic worth mentioning, we haven't received any mail
>(spam included) so _if_ they ever had it registered they haven't used it.
>Google's cash won't help.

It can take 3 to 6 months for domains to be re-released, so they were
pretty lame about getting it back. Most registrars charge about $100 to get
a domain off the "pending" list, if you miss the renewal. Even then you
have about 30 days after expiration to renew, sometimes 60 days. Plus they
are contacting you 10 months after you purchased the domain?? So their
excuse is pretty weak.

You can try the internet archive, aka the internet way back machine to see
if there was any content previously at the domain.

         http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

If you can get a good price for it and have not integrated the new domain
name into your marketing materials, I'd say sell it!
---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys