[thelist] tracking a url [implementation?]

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Nov 4 15:22:15 CST 2003

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Okay, so what's the best way to run this? If my redirect page is
> LinkRedirect.asp - should I append the whole URL (if I did I assume
> it would need to be encoded?) or just a keyword that the server maps
> to a url?

Your choice. Using a mapping scheme, rather than the whole URL,
may be preferable as it'll trap any bad URLs (typos) that have
gotten introduced into your pages.

And letting the redirector pass an arbitrary URL unparsed gives
me a queasy feeling, securitywise :-)

> Either way I assume I would then dynamically write that to the meta
> refresh tag with a value of 0 and let it fly..correct?

No, there's no reason to send the browser a page -- just send the
redirect header with the target URL...

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.