[thelist] Re: Re: Language Detection vrs. Splash Screen

Ben Gustafson Ben_Gustafson at lionbridge.com
Tue Nov 4 17:57:40 CST 2003

Ken,

My knee-jerk comment about the "large and vocal group" needing to get over
itself aside, the reality is that many, if not most, visitors to a site come
in through a page other than the home page, such as from a search engine or
a link on another site. Also, most people outside the US speak more than one
language, but don't know how to or don't care to set more than one language
preference in their browser. I think a prominent language navigation control
on all pages, listing the names of the languages as they are written in the
language (i.e., Français, Português, etc.) is preferable to a convoluted
language-neutral page. (And maybe toss in a language-neutral splash page
with the language navigation, though I think most people hate splash pages.)
My somewhat uninformed guess is that this would be in compliance with laws
that govern language on web sites.

--Ben