[thelist] [OT] Mutt and SMTP

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Fri Nov 7 14:37:36 CST 2003

Greetings :

    Hoping someone here is familiar with Mutt.  I am trying to avoid
using X as much as possible for my linux box, and I found that Mutt was
a good email client. However, I'm having a few problems trying to
configure it for multiple SMTP servers.

    It is my understanding that mutt doesn't do SMTP, but rather it just
sends off the email to a service on the local host that is listening on
25. Is this correct? If so, what MTA can I use so that I can configure
it to send via smtp.work.com for emails that are coming from my work
email address, and smtp.play.com for emails that are from my other email
addresses?  For now, I'm using ssmtp -- but having a bit of a headache
trying to get it to work.

    Upon searching the mutt-users mailing list, I found an interesting
thread that stated in short that windows email clients (example given
was for netscape mail) have their own built-in smtp server that just
relays to the external smtp server ... is this true?

Thanks for any insights :)

<tip type="php editor">

   Looking for a good editor for PHP that
   provides "intellisense"-style code lookups
   (and is free)? Try SciTE ( http://www.scintilla.org )

   Works on both Windows and Linux (requires X)

</tip>
--
Burhan Khalid
thelist[at]meidomus[dot]com