[thelist] odd IE worm or something..

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 16:34:45 CST 2003

--- James Parsons <jp at batworks.com> wrote:
> Tom puzzles...

> >I have a strange thing happening with my IE on winXP. I've run
> >ad-aware and a full virus scan which has turned up nothing.
> >http://www.pixelmech.com/review/ieThing.gif
> >
> >What happens is that a IE window spawns of *its own accord.*

James Said---
> Oddly, we're seeing the same thing on a brand new XP system one of
> my clients here in town just recently put online. It seems to
> gotten infected with something already before I was able to get up
> there and disabled ActiveX and install Ad-Aware along with Spybot
> Search & Destroy.
> Anyway, I've updated anti-virus apps on the system in question.
> Plus, also, installed and run Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy,
> (which is the better of the two, I think), but we don't seem to be
> getting rid of these annoying pop-ups. So, either it's something
> else or we're just seeing some new hijacker apps that nobody's
> caught up with yet.

Damian Said---

#1 - What is -suppr? How do you do that?

#2 - Running SpyBot now, I assume if you didn't find anything I
won't.

#3 - I run ZoneAlarm, checked my logs and there was only one High
alert for traffic..http://www.pixelmech.com/review/detail.gif

Althought maybe I should be looking at outgoing traffic?

#4 - How can I/we figure out WHAT that window is doing? I wonder if
there is a JS to get access to that window or something...

Tom

=====
http://www.pixelmech.com/ :: Web Development Services
http://www.DMXzone.com/ :: JavaScript Author / Every Friday!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ :: Eternal Life

"I'll ho ho and ha ha you!" (Daffy Duck)