[thelist] Native website authentication - IIS 5

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Nov 10 18:05:40 CST 2003

From: "Tab Alleman" <Tab.Alleman at MetroGuide.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] Native website authentication - IIS 5

Remember me?  Well...

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Native Authentication? You mean authenticating using Windows
> usernames/passwords? If so, in the IIS Manager, uncheck "Allow
> Anonymous Authentication", and enable one or more of the other
> options. Integrated Windows Authentication only works for IE clients.
> Basic works for almost all clients, but is relatively insecure (ie
> consider using SSL as well).

Ok, I did this, using Integrated Windows Authentication, and when I go
to the site in IE, I get the pop-up, and I login with what should be
correct information.  But when I click ok, I get a Cannot find server or
DNS Error page.  Any ideas why?

That indicates that the browser cannot contact the server - are you doing
some kind of redirect on the server that's going to some other address or
port that the browser cannot reach?

(I the browser can contact the server, and receive a response, then you
should see a HTTP status code down the bottom, eg 403.1 Not Authorized or
500 Internel Server Error rather than "Cannot find server or DNS error")

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)