[thelist] Solution to Multiple IE's

Gina Anderson gina at sitediva.com
Wed Nov 12 18:51:11 CST 2003

Hi all,

I know this list works a little slow, but I haven't seen anything posted yet. Sitepoint.com just sent their newsletter and apparently, someone has worked around the fact that we can't have multiple versions of IE on our machines. Here's the link to the downloads, info, and such:

http://www.skyzyx.com/archives/000094.php

Sitepoint says:
"Well the Holy Grail is here: you can now run Internet Explorer 4, 5, 5.5, and 6 side-by-side on the same Windows PC.

Joe Maddalone, of Insert Title Web Designs noticed that Microsoft used a neat DLL substitution trick in order to make available test versions of Internet Explorer modified to comply with the Eolas '906 patent that could run side-by-side with the unmodified version of the browser.

With a little experimentation, he was able to use the same technique to put together copies of Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 that would coexist peacefully on a computer with Internet Explorer 6 installed. He has published an excellent guide to the steps required to do the same.

Ryan Parman has reported on this in his blog, which provides convenient, pre-packaged downloads of Internet Explorer 3, 4.01, 5.01 SP2, and 5.5 SP2 with Maddalone's steps already applied. Simply download each of these packages, unzip it, and create a shortcut to the executable file. Just like that -- a standalone copy of Internet Explorer!"

I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait to see if it works.
Gina