[thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Wed Nov 12 22:19:49 CST 2003

Can you give a bit more info about the various setups?  eg.  OS on laptop vs
OS on other PCs.

<warning src="memory" alt="may be a bit rusty" />

On many win9x machines, TCP/IP is not installed by default and they use
NetBEUI.  The reverse is the case in Win2k/XP setups.

Since ping is based on TCP/IP, this may explain the problem with not being
able to ping the machine.

Try using NBTSTAT.EXE to test rather than ping.  This can sometimes work
better between various network setups.

---
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au