[thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking... home net been there!

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 00:38:43 CST 2003

At 03:04 13/11/2003, David Mitchell wrote
>Hey All,
>
>Have a really annoying problem here trying to add a new PC to my network
>at home. Here's the problem. I have 4 computers all connected to a LinkSys
>router sharing my cable connection. I just added a new computer tonite
>running W2k Pro. All the computers can see eachohter except for the laptop
>I am typing this email on. This laptop

This is in "me speak"

check all machines have the same network protocols and services running and
the one that "sees all"

check the firewall in use is happy to "let in" all the DNS calls from the
other machines and vice-versa

there may be a benefit in waiting a short time or restarting the old machines

I had this very problem and solved it via a change/augmentation to the new
machine of a new protocol
and a setting in zonealarm

I assume the domain name/workgroop is set right?

FB