[thelist] Well-formed HTML email

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu Nov 13 10:37:37 CST 2003

>> Any ideas?  I'd love to see some documentation/books on making
>> well-formed,
>> standards compliant emails -- you would think that the mail client
>> would be
>> like a browser but nothing ceases to amaze me. :)
>

> Well, if you're willing to get your hands dirty using Perl, the
> MIME::Lite module should give you control over everything. You can
> author your HTML email in your editor of choice and then make Perl send
> your email. (I'm assuming other languages might have modules that allow
> similar amounts of control?)

I wrote a simple cgi to do my testing with. It lets you upload a file
(your template - which will become the body of your message), specify
To, Subject, etc. headers, and handles the sending of the mail. That way
I can use the tools I normally do for the html part.
In putting it together I had to work around not having sendmail (I'm on
win2k), but I ended up using the Mail::Sendmail module (I'll look again
at MIME::Lite though.) I'd be happy to send out if it would help.

Sam