[thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Nov 13 18:42:07 CST 2003

Hi,

I've asked you a couple of times already, but can you do this please:

\\192.168.0.1

in the Explorer bar of machine (3), where the IP address is replaced with
the one that's assigned to machine (4) below? I think you have a routing
problem of some kind (something to do with the browse list broadcasts not
being propogated perhaps, or announcements not being propogated), and then
that's causing browse list maintenance problems...

Because you don't have a domain model, you're not using DNS for name
resolution. Instead, when a machine starts up (and it has NetBT bound to an
adapter), it forces an election on the network (to elect a browse master).
The browse master maintains a master list of shared resources on the
network. The election also results in backup browsers, which receive a list
of resources from the master browser. When you want to access a resource by
name, your machine contacts a backup browser. You run into problems when:
a) the election doesn't work properly (eg a machine might be running a
firewall that stops it receiving incoming election broadcasts, and then
appoints itself a master not realising that there are other masters on the
network)
b) the master browse list hasn't propogated to the rest of the backup
browsers yet, and your machine contacts a backup browser that has an
out-of-date list of resources.

Using \\IP-Address-Here helps get around some of these problems by
dispensing with name resolution.

Alternatively (this is better, but requires a little more effort), using
browstat.exe to determine what the browse list status is on all your
machines. (I can email it to you offlist if required).

(I assume that you can ping all the machines from each other - it's only
accessing SMB or NetBT resources like file shares etc that's causing
problems).

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)

From: "David Mitchell" <dave at dbmdata.com>
Subject: RE: [thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking

: Here's the lowdown on the machines:
:
: 1) Windows 2000 server - sees all and can be seen by all
: 2) Windows XP pro - see all and can be seen by all
: 3) Windows 2000 pro - sees above 2, but can't see new machine (4)
: 4) Windows 2000 pro (new machine) - sees (1) and (2) but can't see (3)
:
: All all using the same protocols and are members of the same workgroup.
The
: only anomaly I can think of is (3) is a laptop and is on a wireless
: connection. My router is set up to serve DHCP. Maybe this could be the
: factor?
:
:
: