[thelist] Database Schema Suggestions

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 07:11:16 CST 2003

Hi all,

Burhan wrote:

>The problem I'm having is how to structure the database so that I can store
>the form data ... specifically, any number of fields that the admin might
>want. It would be moot to limit the form to /x/ amount of fields.

Consider this.

Form_Table has the attributes of the table, the event, owner, and anything
else that is common to all forms.

Item_table has a field (something like "Main_Form") to tie it to the form.
The rest of the fields have the item properties such as item name, data,
datatype, required, etc. The negative is that your code will need to do all
of the processing, error handling - and probably you will need to convet all
data to and from string type in the data field to store it. The advantage is
that you have absoute control and flexibility.

Ken