[thelist] security strategy - is mine flawed?

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sun Nov 16 15:42:28 CST 2003

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Relating to my last post, I'm wondering if I am missing something in
> my security strategy. I seem to occasionally get these ad worms which
> is really annoying. Here is what I have going:
>
> 1 - ZoneAlarm as my firewall
> 2 - NAV, completely updated
> 3 - I *Never* install any of those Kazaa like garbage.

Run Mozilla -- sometimes, progams can hijack IE settings and cause
strange things to happen. Also you didn't mention programs like
Ad-Aware, which are great for weeding out unwanted guests on your
computer.  I know once I made Mozilla my primary browser (not my default
browser), incidents like what you describe were reduced to almost nil.

Also, Mozilla's mail reader seems to be immune to all those pesky
Outlook-specific worms.  Other good ones are The Bat (
http://www.ritlabs.com ) and Pegasus.

If you run any "sponsored" software -- they might install programs
without your knowledge.

hth,

--
Burhan Khalid