[thelist] security strategy

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 16:27:28 CST 2003

>Tom,
>
>For one reason and another I moved away from Norton (too expensive and not
>always updated quickly enough) and Zonealarm (I upgraded to a version that
>kept crashing win2k)
>
>I'm now using Computer Associates EZ Antivirus which has unattended
>updates and seems to be faster at spotting a virus, and Sygate Personal

I use McAfee Virusscan 4.5.1, it  does just this ( plus incoming email,
download and web scan) and you can set multiple FTP download sites to be
used sequentially in case one is down too....

>firewall Pro because it stopped the most attempts at getting onto my
>machine and allowed me to *permit* outgoing access one application at a

As does the free Zone Alarm (set it to allow every attempt at access or
allow them one at a time, and set custom "allows" for DNS etc ....  I'm
running the latest version totally successfully with Win 2k SP3, or
whatever is the latest one?)

Plus a hardware firewall via my ADSL router :)

NB: what sort of hostile traffic have you intercepted that has not resulted
form a worm infestation or spyware?