[thelist] Remote Scripting

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 11:22:40 CST 2003

Pardon me for not already knowing all about this subject, but I was curious about the remote scripting code that was posted a day or two ago.

I gave that code a try and found that it worked like a charm in Mozilla, but didn't work in IE. I either got a system error or I got an error that said "Automation server can't create object". I looked on Microsoft's site and their example code used this object: "WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5" instead of "Microsoft.XMLHTTP". That's the one that gave the automation server error.

Wondering if it matters what server you use? Must I use a Microsoft server? I was using Apache tomcat to try this since that was handiest at the time.

Also, I poked around a bit and found some code on my local machine that uses the "Microsoft.XMLDOM" ActiveXObject, and this one works without a server, but you have to traverse the DOM, which can be kind of a pain if you don't know what it will be in advance.

Diane at santabarbarahikes.com