[thelist] XML SMI RSS: TLA huh?

s t e f notabene at f2o.org
Wed Nov 19 15:59:24 CST 2003

<quote who="John Dobson" when="19/11/03 17:01">

> Can anyone point me in a direction of a good resource to explain xml for channel feeds, how you do it, can it be secure, things like that?

I guess as good a starting point as any is:
- RDF: <http://www.w3.org/RDF/>
- SOAP: <http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/>

You can also, depending on your needs, look into several popular feed
formats: RSS, FOAF, etc. But eventually you'll see one or two links that
<http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/>

FWIW you'll learn that /per se/ feeds are not secure. They're only xml
files put on a server, so you've got to figure a way to serve them only
if the right 'tokens' are sent.

Maybe you could restrict access to an xml file by relying on the
requester's IP, or something.

I went to a conference on SOAP a few months ago and they said that the
biggest problem at the moment is exactly that: how do you prevent people
from accessing the feeds, since they've got to be online, somehow.

Since no one in the conference mentioned IP-checking, I guess this
solution is not *the* solution.

What's your idea? Maybe we can point you to a more specific direction if
you tell us more?

--
s t e f
http://www.nota-bene.org/