[thelist] CSS-content popping down

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 20 20:16:13 CST 2003

I've been toying with CSS table-less layouts, specifically a 2 column
layout that uses % widths and floats.

It works very well. But the browser it works the worst in is IE (5.2,
6, Mac, PC). The behavior that I see is that if the content in my
narrower left-column is too wide, the left-column content pops down to
the bottom of the page. It also happens if the content in the wider
right-column is too wide. Instead of scrolling horizontally like the
other browsers do, the left column just pops down to the bottom.

In other browsers, if the content is too wide, it just overflows the
edges. I prefer this behavior.

Since I notice this on both Windows and Macintosh, is this something IE
just does? Or is there a way to fix it? Can you point me to a link?