[thelist] print button thoughts

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Nov 25 08:20:13 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian W. Reaves" <brian at brianreaves.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 9:12 AM

> Has anyone had any success at deterring a client from adding a "print
> this page" feature on a site. Most sites content pages can be bookmarked
> and returned too. For content that can't be returned too, perhaps we
> should educate users on how to save a copy of a page on their computer.

I've had the best luck explaining to them that the browser already has a
print function and that it may not be possible to hand-roll a print function
that'll work on every imaginable browser.  I also show them a site where
simply printing the page produces a nice clean printout using the magic of
CSS.

> If users continues to go to sites and print the pages we will never
> curve the amount of paper wasted on web sites.

You may look at staying away from this particular argument as not every
person's values fall along these lines of conservation.  By simply raising
this as an issue you may be inadvertantly be creating an ideology gap
between you and your client.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.