[thelist] Points [was re: Print Page Dimensions, virtual A4 anyone?]

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Nov 25 11:42:59 CST 2003

John C Bullas wrote:
> Pink human ink-stained-fingers printers talk in points per inch:
> A point is 1/72 of an inch! = 72 points to the inch... end of story.....

If a pink human ink-stained-fingers printer (like me dear old dad) is
talking about it, a point is actually about 1/72.27 of an inch ~= 72.27
points to the inch... so maybe that's NOT the end of story!

Technically, a point is 1/864th of 35cm, which isn't the same as 1/72
of an inch (though it's close to it)

<http://nwalsh.com/comp.fonts/FAQ/cf_18.htm#GLOSS11>

Cheers,

Paul "Captain Pedantic" Cowan

<tip type="SSL" author="Paul Cowan">
It's important to understand the 2 roles an SSL certificate can have.
One is protecting traffic between a web server and you; the other is
assuring people that they're dealing with a trusted organisation. All
that 'shop-bought' certs (like from Verisign, Thawte, etc) is the latter.
If you use a self-created certificate, or one from a non-trusted
certification authority, you don't lose any security. Therefore, for
internal, testing, or other 'non-public' use, you might be able to save
yourself some serious bikkies by setting up your own self-authorising
certificate factory and 'rolling your own'.
</tip>