[thelist] The REAL browser width TAKE 2

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 09:13:48 CST 2003

> From: Hershel Robinson <hershelr at netvision.net.il>
[...]
> Anyhow, I use Webtools ( http://www.iconico.com/webtool/index.asp ) to
> size my browser to 800x600 so I can test designs at that size. I have
> been experimenting now with an actual Win 2K desktop set to 800x600
> pixels and I see that the REAL thing (IE6) is several pixels wider
> than what WebTools gives me.

hmmm... interesting... i use a bookmarklet to do the work of
resizing, so i can't speak to the tool... however, if you cap your 8x6
desktop, is the screencap 800x600, or different?

> For certain pages I am making, every pixel indeed counts so I would
> like to know if anyone has any data (or experience) with this and can
> tell me who's right. Maybe other Windows versions or other IE versions
> or other graphics cards etc. DO show up differently.

i have some experience and data, and even though it's 3 years old,
the viewable space numbers for 800x600 screens probably aren't
that much different:

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part II
http://evolt.org/Screen_Stats_2

part 1 of that article is a tutorial on how to use client-side JS and
server-side ASP (although you can do it any server-side language)
to capture the window size and screen size of users...

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I
http://evolt.org/Screen_Stats_1

--
my latest book project: