[thelist] WYSIWYG text area editors that will work on a Mac

Julian Voelcker asp at tvw.net
Fri Nov 28 04:00:06 CST 2003

Hi Simon,

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:03:30 +0000, Simon Perry wrote:
> I am sure there are plenty of us on the list who would like to know what
> you end up using and how well it worked out.

Well, I have had a bit of a play and whilst it looks OK for basic stuff, I
think that it is too inflexible for our requirements.

For example, most content we produce needs to be accessible and there are
no options for adding titles and summaries to tables, titles to links, you
can't even add more that a '_blank' attribute to links without going into
html mode, which defeats the object.

I also think it needs to be more flexible on the customisation side of
things - it would be nice to provide our own custom built links dialog and
image dialog.

It's a bit of a pain because it looks like the market for browser based
WYSIWYG editors that work on the PC platform are about 2 years ahead of
Macs.  We use either RichTextBox or Ektron's eWebEditPro for PCs and they
work extremely well, but not on Macs.

If anyone else has any more suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

Cheers,

Julian Voelcker
Cirencester, United Kingdom