[thelist] What happens when the client requests a bug fix that the developer can't replicate?

Chris George cgeorge at basecorp.com
Mon Dec 1 14:24:10 CST 2003

Hey all,

I was wondering how to handle a situation. I'm working with a programmer
to create a file distribution extranet, and we're close to completion.
The client experiences a bug with the application that causes the file
download to fail. This bug has caused us to miss our launch date by
quite a few weeks. The problem from our side of the fence is that he has
one of 2 machines that can produce the error. We have tried with the
same overall specs and can not produce said error.

We have a spreadsheet documenting what it *does* wok on, but for the
most part, we're blindly trying to squash this bug. The client is
adamant that it's not his setup, and that it's a specific issue with IE
and our application.

Any insight on how to wrap this up as quickly as possible, with few foul
words and no burning of bridges?

Thanks,

Chris.