[thelist] usability

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 16:33:02 CST 2003

Scott Brady Sent: 02 December 2003 18:11

> I don't know if it's more "usable" in general, but I prefer
> just entering the date in one text box.  Of course,
> validation on this is more difficult (particularly if you
> have American and English visitors, both of whom use
> different formats).  (Of course, you can guide them with a
> suggested format (such as "mm/dd/yyyy").

In testing I've found that using the international standard date notation
(YYYY-MM-DD) best as both English and Americans need to think a little about
it, whereas opting for dd-mm-yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy will get input mistakes.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html

It's also properly sortable, which is often very useful.

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty,
Mega Products Limited