[thelist] Sporadic access to trading accounts - any ideas?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Dec 3 09:51:27 CST 2003

Dunstan Orchard noted:

>>About a week ago he rolled his XP install back a notch and found that
>>the problem was solved by the removal of a windows update.
>>[1] Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Hi Dunstan,

Sorry. Can't help much with this specific problem ... other than to
note that Windows security patches sometimes cause unanticipated
problems with browser plug-ins:

[Example: I recently installed Microsoft's KB824141 security patch
... and found that using the 'shift' key to type capital letters
into text boxes {in my Brio reports} causes the character to
replicate about 100 times ... very annoying ... especially when
I have to email thousands of users and tell them to use the caps
lock key or cut & paste from a text editor instead of using the
shift key until the vendor 'anti-MS-patches' are installed ...
I'm a 'bad corporate citizen' if I don't install the patch - and
my reports work for crap if I do! ... Grrrrrr!]

Anyway, I could see something like that affecting his trading account
because that _could_ be using some plug-in or active-x add ons to
add functionality.

I would suggest checking in with the trading account support folks
to see if they have complaints from other customers and/or a potential
remedy.

HTH,

RonL.