[thelist] Windows XP network help

Michiel Oosterling michiel.oosterling at hinttech.com
Fri Dec 5 06:55:04 CST 2003

Sam Carter wrote:

>John,
>
>I don't know why I didn't see your post until today.  Many thanks to you and
>to the others who have responded.
>
>The problem still persists.  Here are answers to your questions.
>
>Q1 - This PC belongs to another employee - the company President / (small
>company).  Not likely anything malicious going on here.

You never know. Maybe some 'nice' website he visited

>Q2 - I don't know what offline access is.  It is probably not enabled.

Never simply take it that something is disabled in windows. Things like
Remote Assistance etc are enabled by default for instance, something
which I have always found highly irresponsable of our friends in Redmond.

>Q3 - There are some network mappings to folders on 3 other Windows 2000
>clients.  These fail to login at boot time but succeed when user/pass are
>entered at prompt.

In what way did you connect to these shares? Did you tell windows to
remember the password you gave it to connect to the shares?

>Q4 - There's lots of stuff loaded, Office, ACT, nothing exotic to my
>knowledge - but I've never met anyone that actually knows what most of the
>startup software actually does.  Anything I should look for?
>
>I may need to Format the hard drive and start over this weekend unless a fix
>is found.
>
>Sam

I just read you original post for the first time. I take it this is a
windows pre-installed pc, but maybe you could have a look at the acpi
settings (power settings). Also check the BIOS, see if there's anything
like auto power-off enabled oslt.
Flash the BIOS, either with a current image or with a new upgrade.

IMHO, reformatting and reinstalling is the last resort. I'd want to know
what caused this, and a format will not make this clear to you. You have
no way of knowing if the problem will arise again after this procedure ....

just my 2 (euro)cents worth,

--
Michiel Oosterling
Hinttech B.V.

t: +31 15 268 2573
f: +31 15 268 2567
m: +31 6 5060 2453

The right to bear arms is only slightly less stupid than the right to arm bears...