[thelist] site check please

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 03:36:07 CST 2003

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:56:45 +1300, Paul Bennett <paul at teltest.com> wrote:

> The visuals were designed by a local design company and I am concerned
> with some css breaking in browsers I can't test for, as well as long
> download times for some of the background images.
> (feedback from non New Zealand people on dial-up would be great)
> *Any* feedback is appreciated

Layout is broken in Opera 7.23 on WinXP - I can screenshot if you want it.

I'm on ADSL and some of the pages take a while to come together. (esp
international students!) - dial up will be worse for sure.

http://www.webpageanalyzer.com/ suggests a load time for that page of
around 25 seconds, plus build time. (built in test in Firebird - hope your
search results don't get screwed)

on that page you've one gif for each flag - could they not be combined?

Your CSS could have more shorthand

td.courseDescTitle
	{
	background-color: #e0e8ec;
	font-weight: bold;
	font-family: verdana, sans-serif;
	font-size: 11px;
	}

could become:

td.courseDescTitle
	{
	background: #E0E8EC;
	font: bold 11px verdana, sans-serif;
}

  and you'd shave a few bytes by dropping the px of the zero values ;o)

On a personal taste note, I didn't like to see the people's heads cut
off.  It took a while to get used to the navigation made a little worse by
the graphics flashing in on every page, can't some of the image be common
to all pages? (I see why it isn't but loading a different 64 k image at
each level?)  I'd split it into the header background and the side menu
background.

Hmm.

must. do. work.

hth