[thelist] Web UI Question

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Mon Dec 8 14:04:21 CST 2003

I work for a online financial services corporation and we have web pages
with lots of numeric figures, like dollar amounts and loan rates and whatnot
(mostly whatnots actually).

Anyhow, I noticed at a certain other site that they have their inputs for
numeric values right justified. I discussed doing this with my boss and he
is concerned that right justified inputs might seem odd when the user enters
the data.

So I set up event handlers to switch the style from left justified for data
entry to right justified for data display. We (presently) support IE6 only.
So when the user enters the field, he types in a left justified input. When
he leaves, the number jumps to the right side. It looks nice that way, all
the numbers lined up together right justified.

When he goes back in to edit one of these numbers, then it jumps to the left
again. This IS a bit weird, but the display looks nice.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Hershel