[thelist] Database schema

Ken Moore psm2713 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:02:11 CST 2003

Hi all,

Cosmin G wrote:

>Hi. I've been asked to develop a database for a computer website. Right now
>I have the following tables:
>categories (1 - cpu's, 2 - hard-drives, )
>producer
>product
>exchange rate
>All products have some common values (price, warranty period, description)
>and there are some fields which are product specific (such as cpu
>frequency,
>cpu cache memory, etc). Right now I've stored all the product specific
>fields in the products table and prefixed them with the name of the
>category
>they refer to. Is this a good approach or should I put them in separate
>tables? The table is getting pretty unmanageable already.

As a database programmer for 20 years, I have got several ideas. But I will
need more info. Since I have just had a nearly unsolvable problem solved
off-line (thank you very much Chris Rosser) I would be happy to help if you
want to write with more details at psm2713 at hotmail.com. Specifically, what
is the main purpose of the DB.

The key is to design well. Once you have done that, many other problems
become much easier.

Ken.