[thelist] More on Search Engines

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Wed Dec 10 09:04:08 CST 2003

> but I'm pretty sure a spider cannot pick up on their copy appearing
> as hidden since a spider isn't going to be able to recognize a
> location based upon CSS, and especially since a spider won't have
> the CSS applied for it; it'll simply appear as text on the page to
> the spider.

Whatever an all-too-clever "SEO" can implement, sooner or later, a
spyder can be written to detect.  If a browser can interpret it, a
spyder can be written to do likewise.  Google's bread and butter
depends upon their being at least as clever as the SEOs.  The SEOs that
I have faith in are the ones that work within, and endorse, Google's
guidelines.