[thelist] Send to friend site features..

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Sat Dec 13 16:12:52 CST 2003

Guy Bowden 11 December 2003 16:11

>Theres a new law in effect from today in the UK banning Spam.  A client has
>asked if this applies to send to friend features  on sites? I would have
>thought not as its similar to sending an email from hotmail isn't it?

The actual law/directive, prohibits commercial users sending individuals
unsolicited email (in a very broad nutshell).

Sensibly, I would say the police will not be too bothered by occasional
abuse (by others) of a facility provided for people to use and share
information on your site. If you are worried keep an eye on other sites -
remove the facility if, say, Amazon.co.uk, remove theirs.

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty,
Mega Products Limited