[thelist] Styling <input type="file">

Mark Howells mark at mark.ac
Sun Dec 14 08:17:14 CST 2003

> I have a problem whereby I want to style a file upload input box. It
> seems
> that it just will not play ball. Every time I set the border etc. it
> goes
> weird - and there does not seem to be a way to style the button.

This is a question which has been asked several thousand times here and
in the CSS Discuss list!  My personal opinion and the general consensus
is that the hack is so complex and so prone to failure that it's not a
good idea to even try.  For one thing, there are several browsers where
NONE of the non-text fields in a form can be styled using CSS (and I'm
talking about newer browsers, not older).  You would be better to
re-consider your design methodology, and to accept that there are some
elements of the page which are better left under the control of the
browser.

Regards
Mark Howells
http://www.mark.ac/