[thelist] Image Size Included in Image Tag

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Mon Dec 15 20:33:49 CST 2003

evolt_org at striderweb.com 12/12/2003 07:14:55 wrote:
> If you include the size attributes then the browser can draw in the
> "placeholder" box before the image is done loading.

> I believe other browsers simply
> don't show any of the page until such graphics are done loading.

It depends on the page. The main problem is with tables.

If the browser doesn't know how big all the images within the table are, then it cannot know how big the entire table will be. Therefore it cannot display any of the table until it has downloaded all of all the images.

If you include the height and width attribute for all images within the table, then as soon as the browser reaches the </table> tag it can display the table with placeholder boxes, allowing the user to read the text and use navigation while the images are gradually filled in.

cheers

Dr Stuart Young,       +64 (0)9-815 4321 Ex 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz>
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information Technology,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/staff/syoung.htm
I would provide a URL for my official staffpage, but its too long and complex