[thelist] Tricky, tricky problem. capture link location in an iframe of a modal window

Scott Blanchard octigonuser at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:45:34 CST 2003

I have a real pickle of a problem that I am trying to sort out and just
wanted to ask for some assistance.

I have a CMS app whose editor has a link inspector to allow users to
highlight blocks of text and easily create links for them. When they click
on the "Create Link" icon, a modal dialog (actually its modeless) (IE) or
dependent (Netscape/Mozilla) window opens that allows them to enter a web
address in an input field and see a live preview of the page they are
linking to in an iframe that is located in the central portion of this
"modeless" window.

Problems I need help with are:

1) When user clicks on a link or navigates from the initial preview page to
another page, I need to input field to change to reflect the new URL. How
would I monitor this to copy the new location value into the input field? Is
their a location.onchange event???

2) If this is done in Mozilla, the links that the user clicks on in the
preview iframe are opened in the preview iframe, which is what I want to
happen. However, if the user is in IE, the links all open in a new window. I
think that this has something to do with the fact that I am in a
modal/modeless dialog. How can I force IE to open those links in the preview
iframe???

I would greatly appreciate any responses or input from you guys. Thanks!!!