[thelist] $150-ish digital camera recommendation

evolt.list at sethbienek.com evolt.list at sethbienek.com
Mon Dec 22 08:23:51 CST 2003

Greetings,

It depends on what size pictures your mom intends to print.

The general rule of thumb is 2 Megapixels or higher for 4 X 6 prints, 3
Megapixels or better for 5 X 7, and at least 4 Megapixels for 8 X 10..

That being said, I have gotten some nice quality 8 X 10 prints out of my
2.1 Megapixel Fuji FinePix 2800 ($239 a couple years ago) by using
ACDSee's PhotoSlate to interpolate the resolution difference.

I like my camera - great color saturation - but something you want to
look at with all digital cameras is how they perform in low-light
situations without a flash.  I am not sure of a good camera in this
category, but I can tell you that it's like pulling teeth to get a good
shot in this situation with my camera.  It's analagous to using a film
camera with a top shutter speed of 1/20th sec.

Anywho, you should consider things like user interface and the
abovementioned low-light shutter performance, but most importantly - get
thee to a camera shop.  You should be able to do some "hands-on"
research to find the best camera for your mum.

Take Care,

Seth