[thelist] Max browser display

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Mon Dec 29 09:51:18 CST 2003

Sam Carter wrote:
> I'm writing a web-based application which provides datagrid reports.
> Display real-estate is a premium, and I'd like to provide controls on
> the page to maximize the display (What the F11 key does in most
> browsers) and return it to it's original size whenever the browser is
> closed or user navigates to some other website.

    Do a window.open() which includes "fullscreen" as part of the window
features string. This will open the window in fullscreen mode in IE
(equivalent to pressing F11, as you requested), and a maximized window in
Netscape/Mozilla, e.g.:

<script type="text/javascript">
  window.open("datagrid.html","_blank","fullscreen") ;
</script>

    It is also highly advisable to include a means within the window to
close it, such as a button, since fullscreen mode in IE, when triggered by
the window.open method, does not include a toolbar or an "x" on which to
click (leaving only Alt-F4 as a means to kill the window by default).

James Aylard