[thelist] CGI form to ASP

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Wed Dec 31 15:34:25 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Faye Tarzwell (FayeC)" <ftarzwell at fayec.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 4:25 PM

> They are running Windows/ASP on the server.
> The conversion is only for this single form. Everything else is already
> in ASP (database connectivity).
> Any tips in regards of the form?

FayeC,

If cost to the client is the most important factor, and you don't know ASP,
I'd recommend that you outsource this one page.

But, if you do decide to tackle it yourself, here's the basic premise for
one way to handle an ASP form:

Page 1 -
  Basic form, HTML/JS only.   Submits to Page 2.

Page 2 -
  ASP page that looks at the submitted values in the form scope (use
Request.Form("fieldname") to get the values) and validates the fields.  If
the data doesn't validate, display a message saying that the data's bad and
that they should go back.  If the data is good, compile the body of the
message from the fields, then use CDO to send a message.

Here's the link to a good CDO example:

http://tinyurl.com/e153

Which is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cdosys/html/_cdosys_messaging_examples_creating_and_sending_a_message.asp?frame=true

Some people have "techniques" or "libraries" for validating forms that
involve the page posting back to itself.  If you are new to ASP then these
shortcuts will just add more overhead.  The method I outlined above is the
simplest approach in terms of complexity.

Catch me offlist if you need more help.

Best of luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer