[thelist] IE: Prevent 'tick' sound on page load?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Jan 5 08:10:30 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank" <lists at frankmarion.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 3:02 AM

> I've got a page with an iframe that reloads every x seconds. IE makes a
> 'tick' sound every time it loads a page. How can I prevent this annoyance?
> Further, can it be done programmatically, via javascript or something?

Frank,

Though you cannot disable the sound programmatically, you could load the
page in a way that doesn't generate a click:

1.  If you know that the platform is IE, then you could use the loading
behaviour to load content into a div instead of an iframe.

2.  If you are using a browser that supports dynamic XML loading interfaces,
you could load the data that way instead.

3.  If you know the browser will support Sun's JVM, then load the page
behind the scenes with Java.

Good luck,

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer