[thelist] Error reporting to our site

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Tue Jan 6 03:49:09 CST 2004

At 17:28 05/01/2004 -0500, Michele Foster wrote:

>One of the reports they provide to us is links to our site that are
>resulting in 404 errors, i.e. not links from within our site out but links
>on other peoples sites to us. I know I can use google to get a list of all
>links to our site, and I use Xenu to generate error reports from our site ..
>but I don't know if there's a way to determine broken links to us.
>
>Anyone have any ideas .. or even other third party companies that provide
>this service so that I can compare offerings?

   All this information should be in the error logs from your web server -
it will record every 404 error (and indeed, 500 error, or whatever) along
with the IP address, client software, and most importantly, the URL that
was requested. No need for a third party at all, I shouldn't think.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel, Web Development, Sports Interaction
ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
http://www.sportsinteraction.com/
+353-1-2365701 (Direct Line)