[thelist] Odd file download problem in IE 5.5

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Jan 7 17:12:17 CST 2004

Is the webserver local however? If so, capture the packets on the webserver
if at all possible (or put another machine on the network where the
webserver is, and place the NIC into promiscuous mode and capture all
packets).

However, looking at the webserver logs may be enough (see if you see
redirects happening to the login page, cookies not being returned etc).

It may be that a user has changed cookie settings on the client, or is using
some kind of "anti-spyware software" that is preventing session state from
being maintained.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris George" <cgeorge at basecorp.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 2:09 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] Odd file download problem in IE 5.5

> I would grab a copy of Ethereal (or similar), and put a trace
> on HTTP traffic.
>
> It appears that you are using a custom-built authentication
> system rather than a HTTP-based authentication system (like
> Basic Auth), so for this to work, the browser and server need
> to properly maintain session state. It seems that this may be
> getting "lost" somewhere along the line.
>
> Also, check your webserver logs to see what the server thinks
> is coming from the browser.

Hi Ken,

Yes, Ethereal was installed on a couple client systems, and helped
gather data, however, this particular one is off-site, and we won't be
able to capture packets, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip re: session state. This is what it looks like to us
as well. It's an odd one that only happens in IE 5.5 too.

Webserver logs are next on my list. Thanks for the help!

Chris.
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/