[thelist] ASP: Threading and apartment model

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Jan 8 07:16:24 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus Andersson" <marcan at home.se>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 7:00 AM

> I want to create a DAO layer (and some other "managing" classes) inside
> the web application and put them in Application scope...

> The classes are, by the way, written in a thread-safe way.

Marcus,

Regardless of whether or not the classes are thread safe, does using a
global instance of a class force serialization of concurrent usages from
various threads?  If not, is the system having to make copies of all objects
for each child thread it spins off?  If the copying does happen, that would
seem to be a worse penalty than creating the objects only as necessary since
even unused objects would have to be copied.

I've heard numerous "bad things" about using shared object of ASP classes in
the session and application scopes.  What has your experience been?

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/