[thelist] Using % for table cell height

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Thu Jan 8 13:59:56 CST 2004

> I am trying to validate a document using XHTML strict doctype but it
> keeps throwing messages that say my use of <td height="100%"> is
> invalid.
>
> It gives me the same message for validating with HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01
> STRICT & TRANSITIONAL.

There's your clue: td height has never been a part of the W3C rec, as
far as I know. The original concept was to restrict pages to the width
of the screen, but allow scrolling vertically for as long as necessary.

> What should I use in place of the "%" number if I want my table to
> expand and collapse as the browser resizes? I can't declare an actual
> pixel value.

Making a table dynamically fill the browser window is problematic. There
are various JavaScript and other DHTML concepts (none of which I've ever
used.)

joel