[thelist] Using % for table cell height

mike karthauser mikek at brightstorm.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 13:58:50 CST 2004

> I am trying to validate a document using XHTML strict doctype but it
> keeps throwing messages that say my use of <td height="100%"> is
> invalid.
>
> It gives me the same message for validating with HTML 3.2, HTML 4.01
> STRICT & TRANSITIONAL.

Its because % heights are invalid.

> What should I use in place of the "%" number if I want my table to
> expand and collapse as the browser resizes? I can't declare an actual
> pixel value.

You can use js to read the screen height and set the table height
accordingly. Or use height = 100% and accept that this bit of code doesn¹t
validate.

> Also, has "nowrap" been replaced my a better attribute? That is also
> messing with my validation.

Nope. AFAIK nowrap has just been deprecated. Use it if you need it.
Validation is important but not worth loosing sleep over.
--
Mike Karthauser
Managing Director - Brightstorm Ltd

Email       >> mikek at brightstorm.co.uk