[thelist] Java Script Scroller - Conflict Help

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Fri Jan 9 00:35:06 CST 2004

I have recently picked up a maintenance contract on an existing site.
One of the things the site owners want done is to have a message
scroller replace a static image. I looked around and found a javascript
that does what is wanted, downloaded, tweaked and tested. It worked well
and can be seen at:
    http://www.csi1st.net/javahelp/indexTstScrllr.html

I plugged the code into the existing index page and only the first
message displayed properly, with 'undefined' being displayed for all
subsequent messages. This can be seen here:
    http://www.csi1st.net/javahelp/index.html
Existing menu rollovers work fine, message scroller doesn't. (none of
the links have pages behind them)

Further testing revealed that removing the existing menu image rollover
java script allowed the new message scrolling script to work properly.
More testing revealed that with the menu image rollover script in place,
but no images to display, the message scrolling script worked properly
again. This can be seen here:
    http://www.csi1st.net/javahelp/indexNoRollImg.html

I only have novice to imtermediate java script skills and hoped this
task would help me learn more. Instead it has  me perplexed. Ideas,
solutions and/or better scripts welcomed.

Ron D.