[thelist] Building A linux Server

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Sun Jan 11 07:03:59 CST 2004

JP wrote:
> Good day,
> Just wondering if you kind folks could point me to some resources for
> turning my old Win98, Athalon 700, Asus MB, system into a Linux web/ftp/mail
> server.  I found a couple of articles at Webmonkey but they are from '99.

Firstly get yourself a distro. I'd go for Knoppix, as it runs from CD,
so you don't have to worry about a linux install to start with.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html KNOPPIX - Live Linux
Filesystem On CD

I'm pretty sure that'll have apache / sendmail and what have you so you
should be able to start playing straight away.

Join your local LUG mailing list, and start asking questions... Good luck.

Kind regards,
Liam