[thelist] Multicurrency

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 09:56:17 CST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:47:46 -0500 (EST), <john at johnallsopp.co.uk> wrote:

> Any thoughts, good practice examples?

This site:

http://www.gryematter.com

example: (watch wrap)

<http://www.greymatter.com/Buyers/gmhome/sr3_prdidx.asp?id=62984&rnd=416698.634624481>

gives the option to display and purchase in USD, GBP or Euros.

That's the way I'd do it if I had too.

I guess they're storing a price and applying a dynamic conversion rate in
the database and dynamically rewriting the page and the cart parameters
according to choice.

So if it's going to be multicurrency, go the whole hog and show *and* bill
in currency of choice.  otherwise let the user do the estimates - link to
XE and warn that credit cards may differ...

hasn't stopped my buying $ priced products yet (although I rarely spend
thousands of dollars so the conversion differences are minimal)

hth

Tony

--
listening to: "if you don't know me by now" by David Brent
http://www.xebit.net/