[thelist] web hosting vs. VPN

Sarah Sweeney poohbear at designshift.com
Tue Jan 13 13:39:27 CST 2004

I have a potential client who has a contact management application
(currently in classic ASP/VBScript and an SQL Server db). The app is
hosted internally in the client's office, meaning that they have no
access to it from outside. They are looking at having me "redo" the app
(cleaner code, integrating another database, adding functionality, etc),
and also looking at options for making the app more usable. The options
they are interested in are:
1) find inexpensive web hosting for the app (likely using PHP and MySQL,
or possibly ASP.Net and SQL Server)
2) set up a VPN so that they could host the app internally but still
access it from the outside world

What would you guys say are the pros and cons of each of these methods,
in terms of cost, ease of use (including connection speeds), ease of
updating the code (from outside), and reliability? Thanks for any
feedback on this issue!

Sarah