[thelist] install EXEs not doing anything

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DSI/SICOR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Wed Jan 14 04:37:53 CST 2004

> From D. Bruce Saurer
> I ritually shut down all non-essentials before installing "anything"
> Task Manager/Services this will vary according to set up
> If that doesn't work, try installing from Safe Mode.

Hi people,

Seems like this has been an off-topic thread, please remember to include TIPS into your emails that are OT.

<tip type="accessibility testing: Image replacement">
So far you've done a great job doing semantic markup and adding some spice to it by using image-replacement CSS and the likes, haven't you?

Try "visualizing" the result not only with Lynx but also with JAWS on top of Internet Explorer, for instance. Then you'll see that most image-replaced elements aren't read at all by the vocal translator.

I'm still looking for a valuable solution, although Dave Shea at Mezzoblue offers revised techniques that it's good to be following.
Check <http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revised-image-replacement/>

Others, like prominent people on thelist (aardvark among them if I remember correctly), simply say that "an image is an image is an image". I'm beginning to agree with them. Proper use of ALT and TITLE may be the only serious solution for the moment.
</tip>

s t e f (aka notabene)
http://evolt.org/user/notabene/22696/
http://www.nota-bene.org/