[thelist] DMX and Procite Question

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Fri Jan 16 15:26:55 CST 2004

I'm about to begin a "dirty data" project that uses data in ProCite format
at one stage, so I can't offer experience yet. But here are some things you
may need to consider:

1. Are you sure you won't have to spend $$$$$ on network licensing to post
your ProCite db on the web? http://www.procite.com/pcinfo.asp

2. Do you want to put it on the web because you want to do stuff with the
data? Or do you only want to display the data?  If you want to do stuff, you
probably need it in a relational database such as MS_SQL or postgre or maybe
even mysql would work. I suspect that ProCite resembles a text-based
flatfile more than a relational database (I could be wrong about that. I
don't have a copy of ProCite) and I doubt that ProCite uses SQL.

If you just want to post citations to a website, you might look into
"Reference Web Poster" (watch the wrap)
<http://www.researchsoftware.nl/index.php?page=product_detail&cat_name=Refer
ence+Web+Poster&subpage=info&SESSID=5a33122292ed52f4e9b68b7ec31f61fc>

hth
-chris