[thelist] In-house vs outsourced credibility (was: my company got ripped off)

Heather Quinn hqevolt at windyhilldesign.com
Sat Jan 17 09:48:48 CST 2004

It's an ego thing, often.  In-house talent can have too much
credibility, from many decision-makers' POV's.  By going outside for
some of the work in-house people can do, executives prove to themselves
that in-house people are not irreplaceable, etc., and therefore not such
a threat to them personally (their egos, that is).   Many people who've
risen to exec status have done so because instead of developing skills,
they've put their time and energy into getting to the point of being
allowed to boss people around (notice I don't say "learning how to boss
people around").  Seeing and dealing with the bright, talented, capable
people working under them is frightening.  And many execs therefore end
up spending some of their time trying to keep their talented underlings
somewhat hobbled.

If you're planning on trying to get more work of the kind you want in
your in-house capacity, it helps to keep people aware of what you've
done for them in the past, but not to make a big deal about what you're
capable of doing for them in the future.  This kind of half lie is
reassuring to people who are threatened by your talent.  When in-house
people promote their own talents and skills directly, bosses may "read"
it as gloating that they're not capable of the same (often true), and
that they should be working for their employees, rather than vice versa
(also often true).

--
Cheers,

Heather Quinn